Wikipedia

Search results

Monday 14 March 2016

The golden secret in mastering any branch of knowledge

The Grand Imam of Nahw (Arabic grammar), Al-Khalil ibn Ahmad b.100AH (from the teachers of Imam Al-Sibawayh himself), has some golden advice on how to achieve mastery of a subject:
"No one will attain what he needs to know in Nahw, except after learning that which he has no need of."
This was reported by the historian Salah-al-Din Al-Safadi in an encyclopedic work who commented further:
"Every subject is like this, a man will not attain mastery until he obtains that which he does not require."
Sheikh Abdul-Fattah Abu Ghuddah mentions the above in his footnotes and commented further, highlighting its importance today.
I say: You see many students of knowledge nowadays, in particular Westerners who in either foolish eagerness or academic arrogance try to rush knowledge by skipping steps in the traditional curriculum with the excuse of 'needing to know whats important' or 'skipping what is irrelevant to our times' or 'skipping outdated rules, ideas, concepts, texts and topics'. You see them saying absurd things like "Nahw is not that important, You don't have to study all that long and tiresome fiqh from the old days, or what's the point in learning Sarf..." etc.
These people will never master the Islamic sciences, let alone the religion itself. Never take knowledge from those who dismiss entire fields of Islamic knowledge and/or do not show respect to the scholarship and Imams of the past.
When I first started studying, I was one of them, And the more I learned what I thought I didn't need; the more I realized how much I needed to know what I didn't need, to master what I needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment